Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hero #02: Carl Sagan

It's been nearly 13 years since he died, and nearly 30 since I sat glued to the TV watching "Cosmos."

The man did everything, it seems, from advising Apollo astronauts to working on the gold records the Voyager craft are carrying beyond the solar system even now.

I wish I could say that Mr. Sagan inspired me to excel in science or some such, but it wasn't until after his death in 1996 that I started thinking skeptically about things. It was only a few months ago that I even started thinking about who I would even consider a "hero." I think I've got a good idea, now. He was a strong advocate for the sciences, for skeptical and critical thought.

I wish I'd listened to him when I was that kid in 1980.

John Boswell's Symphony of Science features some well-done nods to Mr. Sagan--if you don't like AutoTune songs, you'll still like this, because the "singer" is Sagan himself, in clips from "Cosmos."

No comments:

Post a Comment